Tuesday 14 October 2014

& Album of the Year goes to...






Souled Out - Jhene Aiko

I have to say I love this album. The sounds are so mellow and soothing whilst on some real talk. Though one of my colleagues at work called this album 'whale music' which they deserve the side eye for, I couldn't help but sit on my travels to work thinking and relating to situations I've never even been in! Lol

Jhene portrays such a strong minded woman who knows her worth and literally takes every day in it's stroll. It's most evident in her songs and her sultry soft voice on top of such beautiful instrumentals is enough for a bad day to take a turn for the best.

So my fave songs from the album?

1. Limbo Limbo Limbo - I feel like she's describing me and this is a very intense upbeat instrumental to her usual tunes and I love it! My life is a ride..that is all.

2. To Love & Die - this song describes some other type of love some of us have never experienced and when we find it, this will be the song we'll be singing.

3. Lyin King - the title of this song was enough to draw me to this song. The way she layed into Mr. Serial Lover was pretty amazing and classy. She definitely has a way with words on another type of Adele!

4. Wading - soothing waves is all I think about when I hear this.

5. The Pressure - when you're under pressure and feel stressed, give this a listen. You'll feel better, I promise and speaking of...

6. Promises - As if this song doesn't make me feel broody enough! Hearing artist's kids on songs make my heart melt as this has a voice over from her brother, Miyagi who passed in 2012 from cancer and Jhene's whole motivation for this track is thoughtful and sentimental for Namiko, her daughter. This song is the most heartfelt of the whole album for me.

7. Pretty Bird ft Common - I think of Spoken Word when I hear this and the fact it has Common featured...just wow! Poetic on another level.

8. It's Cool - "it's cool, we ain't got to be nothing" Enough said.

Jhene if I ever meet you, I don't want an autograph nor a picture. I just want you to sing me a lullaby pleaseee!

Guys check her album out on Spotify!

No comments:

Post a Comment